Friday 21 December 2012

R.A.F Friday Christmas Special.

 
Welcome one and all to a very special edition of R.A.F Friday. Ok, so the only reason it's special is because it's the last one before Christmas and I have raided my room to dig out all the Christmassy related items especially!
I must confess that I wasn't planning to show what is about to be shown- I was adamant that the thing I was going to show was connected to a particular RAF chappy, but my brain played a cruel trick on me and I got all mixed up with a similar thing that was sent to a chappy in the RAF, and needless to say, I didn't buy the latter (was expensive!). However, I shall try and upload the thing I wanted to share nearer Chrimbo, because it is rather interesting RAF related or not!


So to me stuff....



First up, a couple of Christmas cards...


 
 I bought these back in the summer (along with the bundle below)

And the Transport Command CC is dated 1945 inside.
 
***
 
The Next is a small bundle of photo's with a Christmas Greetings card. They are all related to a one,
LAC W. M. MacGillivray.
 " from 1362225 LAC. MacGillivray
Royal Air Force.
To My Darling sweetheart Margaretta with all my love & sweetest kisses
your very own sweetheart
xxxxxxxxx Willie xxxxxxxxxx
My Good wishes for a very merry xmas & a happy New Year!
***
-Faith-
God grant you faith
when storms arise
To see the light
In troubled skies.
God lead the way
And calm your fears
His love your sunshine
through the years,
 
Willie  xxxxxxxxxx"
 
Willie is bottom left. 1941

 (this one has some writing on the back but I have no idea what it says!

I'm not sure if this is Willie, (sort of looks like him) but he came with the rest and I would hate for him to go unnoticed!
 
***
 
Another item I have been keeping back ready for this merry month is this wartime booklet of Carols 
 
(Nice to see a WAAF for a change!)
 
One of my favourites is "Good King Wenceslas"
(use to love to sing it at school when I was diddy dot!).
 
***
 
And my final offering
is my latest purchase....
 
 
I bought this chappy in London (fancy). I've had to crop him a bit as it's a fairly large portrait- not huge, huge just too large for the scanner! I don't know about anyone else, but I adore tinted photos, and I think the seller could tell that I had fallen in love with him when I enquired after the price! I don't know what I would have done if she hadasked for more than I could have given her- well, one thing I do know, I would have been very miserable if he was to be too much dosh for little Cinders here!
Anyway, he resides with me now, and I have named him Bert as I think it suits his kind face. : P
(what a nutcase eh!)
Well, that's all I could muster for this edition, as I can't think of anything else Christmas related... s'pose the last one isn't at all related to Christmas, but hey, I couldn't wait another week without showing him off!
 
 
Happt RAF Friday one and all,
 
Tups
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 



***

RAF Friday so far...
 




6 comments:

  1. The chap that you're not too sure if it's Willie looks like Mrs Miniver's son (who was her boyfriend in real life! What a cougar!) A fabulously festive offering Miss TBT x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very moving to remember those who gave so much! Thank you Tupney.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing prayer! It reminds me of the serenity prayer I used to teach my students many moons ago! And I now am crushing on Bert! Can we say handsome!? So glad you brought him home! Gosh so many sweet and dashing men back then...swoon!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is such a touching reminder of how, even in the face of great struggle and uncertainty, those in the service continued to try and celebrate Christmas as best they could under the circumstances (one could argue, perhaps needing it more then than ever!). Thank you very, very much for sharing this terrific array of R.A.F holiday items with us, I thoroughly loved seeing all of them (I think the book of carols is my very favourite, as I so adore that illustration).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tinted photos, too - My favourite is one of my mum as a baby back in 1957 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love stuff like this, and no, you are NOT a nutcase! I understand perfectly and it's good to know there are other people who salvage and look after things like this.

    ReplyDelete

Ta very much for your messages folks!

Tickety Boo Tupney xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...