Thursday 5 January 2012

Coronation Crackers: week one.


 I don’t know about anybody else, but I’m wholeheartedly looking forward to this year, and the celebrations for the Queens diamond jubilee. (I already have ideas for an outfit and I might even force the family into having a tea party!)
This year also sees the centenary of the Titanic sinkingL, and also sees the staging of the….. (deep breath, keep calm Tupney!)….the London Olympics. There I’ve said it!  I don’t want to bother with the overrated and over anticipated (by many but not me- obviously!) 2012 Olympics- I wont be watching it, and on this blog you will hear no more of it! The only way you would get me watching it is if they had a special event for eyebrow twitching or nose wiggling, which I may add, my sister would most certainly win gold in as she is a master nose wiggler!  Anyway, I’m rambling and veering totally off course!
So my deary-do’s, back to the diamond jubilee....

I have quite the dinky collection of all sorts to do with the ’53 coronation and really do enjoy finding them. So because of this, and the significance of the year, I thought (yes, I was thinking!)  for the run up to the lovely-jubbly Jubilee I would share some of my coronation treasures in a weekly post. I initially thought I would have to show and tell some other bits and bobs from the ’37 coronation too, but having a quick nosey in my diary it looks to be only 22 weeks away, and I’m sure I’ll have plenty…. She says!?

So here goes... week one!
(also a Christmas pressie!)
A Carr’s biscuit tin in rather spiffy condition! 

My, what a handsome pair they make!
Close up of the sides...

The inside and what came with the tin.... just look at the lovely red
 original paper stuff!
 (cannot for the life of me remember what its called!)


Tupps x

4 comments:

  1. blimey, must be a big collection! Looking forward to seeing more. I only have a jug from the 1911 coronation and a small cup thingy from the 1937 one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you heard, the Museum of London are having a competition for people's souvineer items. I have a half glass from the coronation, I might enter it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too collect stuff from the coronation - of various monarchs. I have all sorts of bits - might have to do a post on them all :) I too am excited about the Coronation Celebrations. Not that I have ANY planned yet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this post has reminded me of a near miss I had last March with a purse marking Elizabeth's coronation. I was visiting Toronto and browsing some vintage shops. My friend was under orders (given by me) to not let me buy anything so I was being very good. Just looking. There was a handbag of black tooled leather with a commemorative clasp that was in fantastic condition and $45CDN. Cool, I thought, but I'm not buying. I kept thinking about it all that day and night. Next morning we went for breakfast on the same street. I was still thinking about it so I took that as a sign that I really did want it. After breakfast we went back to the store just in time for it to open. Only no one was there and we had no time to wait - on our way to a full day festival. There was just no time to go back before we left town and I was rueing that bag the whole time. Curses on vintage shops that don't open on time!

    ReplyDelete

Ta very much for your messages folks!

Tickety Boo Tupney xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...